Hawker Tempest Mk V and Yakovlev Yak-1 (new project) - October 16, 2023

Hello everyone. It's me Antony, back with another blog in 2023. We are now on October 16 - past the half of 2023. Now that I'm working and my 7th semester has started, my time for Blogs decreased to some occasions. At least it is good to be back at work.

I'm still waiting for any news related to the new civil service exam of this year - with some to the education and health departments; and the subscriptions to be open in case I plan to apply for another public job. Like I said before, I may give it a shot, but it will be the same thing as before - Reserve my days and my spare-time for study. If I fail, it would be another civil service performed, with my money being spent for nothing.

For the calling process to work as a teacher, I definitely gave up due to the lack/low number of vacancies for mathematics teachers. My mom said for December they might re-open the subscriptions. However, I'm not sure I plan to do that in case I'm going to wait for too long until they reach to my position and then I announce my interest for that vacancy.

Enough of that, let's go for the important. For today, I'm going to bring two new projects I started recently. As always, I'll never get tired of starting new projects while I have a load of them to conclude.

The first new aircraft I started is the British Hawker Tempest. As always, I like to share the story of planes, vehicles, ships, weapons and more.

The Hawker Tempest is one of the finest British planes developed by Hawker Aircraft Limited. It was a development from the Hawker Typhoon, designed by Sydney Camm - the same that developed Hawker Hurricane. After the Battle of Britain, it was clear they needed an eventual replacement for the Hurricane as an interceptor plane like the Spitfire. Then in March 1938, the company presented a new plane with the same designs from the Hurricane, but powered by a Napier Sabre H-24-cylinder piston engine and carrying two pairs of 20 mm Hispano Mk II cannons. However the Typhoon presented a series of issues involving its design and aerodynamic performance. Due to this, a series of models were developed from the Typhoon. One of these models was the Typhoon II, later known as the Tempest. The new aircraft presented a series of changes to its predecessor, like the laminar wings, a new tear-drop bubble canopy and engine setting - highlighting the Mk II using the Bristol Centaurus Mk V radial piston engine and the Mk V using the Napier Sabre Mk IIA, IIB or IIC inline piston engine. Both the Typhoon and the Tempest were the fastest planes the RAF could deploy to face the German Focke-Wulf FW 190 at low altitude until the majority of Typhoons were replaced by Tempests. With the crescent V-1 attacks, the Tempests became one of the choices along the Spitfire Mk IX and Mk XIV and the De Havilland Mosquitoes. When British planes approached the V-1s, the main tactic to take them down without firing it was using the wingtip to disable its gyroscope and toppling the rocket into an out-of-control dive, destroying it in sequence. With the arrival of the Me 262 jet fighters and the Ar 234 jet bombers, British pilots also adopted the tactic of following these planes to German airbases and destroying it before taking off or landing. German jet pilots stated the Hawker Tempest was the Me 262 most dangerous adversary, especially at low altitude where they are fast and highly maneuverable. Pierre Clostermann, famous Brazilian-born French pilot in RAF that operated the Hawker Tempest, had encountered the German piston-engine planes, jet planes during sorties over Germany and a single Dornier Do 335 Pfeil (arrow in German) - a twin-engined heavy fighter with an unusual engine setting, consisting one engine at the nose and one at the tail, making it one of the fastest piston-engine aircraft built in Germany during WW2. A total of 1,702 Tempests were built until its retirement in 1953.

The model selected is the Tempest Mk V - the main produced variant powered by the Napier Sabre H-24-cylinder engine during WW2; with the Mk II coming out from the factories at the final stages of the war, receiving the Bristol Centaurus radial engine. Here's the images of the Tempest Mk V:








Alright. The Hawker Tempest Mk V. As usual, starting new projects while I have thousand of them to conclude (with the P-38 Lightning and the Bf 109 ready). Regardless, I had plans of starting the Tempest after learning the story of Pierre Clostermann - the famous French pilot born in Curitiba, Paraná, Brazil.

Back to the project. I started the Tempest with the pre-made model for single-seat aircraft - adjusting the wings, the fuselage and the tail according to the drawings. Minor components made were the 'lumps' for the weapons ammo compartment and the muzzle for the Hispano-Suiza cannons. The engines and the propeller blades were appended to the plane. The material used to the Tempest is a temporary one I've been using for the Lancaster, Ki-61, G.55 Centauro and some other planes.

After these renders, I added more components.








The decals were appended from the Spitfire, changing the letters to correspond Clostermann's Tempest; and the canopy hatch was from the P-47 Thunderbolt. Since the British air interceptor was equipped with a tear-drop bubble glass, it would make things a little faster to conclude. Only the forward reinforced framing needs a rework based on the photos.

The fairings for the landing gear were a bit tricky to make. I duplicated the wings in order to spare the original model while I 'mess up' with the current one. I used Boolean modifier to make the spacing for the undercarriage, then I adjusted it by eliminating some edges and vertices. The idea is to avoid creating lots of subdivisions and some of them might create an edge loop.

What do you mean by edge loop?
When it comes to topology, a vertice must connect to another vertice in order to create an edge. A subdivision requires an edge to divide a face into two or more. However, if the subdivision starts to create a weird loop in order to connect with the main vertice, you need to revisit the topology and fix it with smart retopology.



These two videos will you help you to understand topology and retopo if you plan to make incredible models.

Back to the project. After the landing gear fairings, I made the elevators and the ailerons from the wings and the horizontal tail. So far, the Tempest Mk V is looking good. The last components made were the internal piece for the air intake and the Pitot tube.

For the next renders, I'll show you the Tempest with the fairings aligned with the landing gear - appended from the P-47; and the antenna. But this subject will be addressed in the next Blog. The next components to make are the navigation lights, the flaps, the cockpit internal components, a nice texture and rigging it.

The second new aircraft I started is the Soviet Yakovlev Yak-1. As always, here is the story of this aircraft

The Yakovlev Yak-1 (Яковлев Як-1) is one of the most produced Soviet aircraft during WW2, followed by its variant, the Yak-9. Before the Great Patriotic War (World War 2), Alexander Sergeyevich Yakovlev was a young aircraft engineer, best known for his air gliders and light sport aircraft in the Soviet Union. In 1939, he designed the Yak-2 light bomber - the fastest Soviet aircraft built. The aircraft impressed Josef Stalin and ordered Yakovlev to design a new fighter for the VVS (Voenno-Vozdushnye Sily - the Soviet Air Force) to replace the obsolete Polikarpov I-15 and I-16. The specifications for the new aircraft would be powered by a Klimov M-106 V-12 liquid-cooled engine - capable of reaching top speed of 620 km/h at 6,000 m , combat range of 600 km, a climb to 10,000 meters of under 11 minutes and armed with two 7.62 mm ShKAS machine guns and one 12.7 mm Berezin BS heavy machine gun. Yakovlev promised Stalin that his aircraft would be ready in early 1940. Designs were rushed that the first prototype - known as I-26; would be constructed with cheap materials like wood, plywood, fabric, steel tubes and duralumin. The prototype weighed above 300 kg, a little heavier than planned, so Yakovlev had to remove some equipment, essentially the radio equipment. The I-26-1 took flight on January 13 of 1940, impressing the test pilot and most Soviet officers, including Stalin. It was powered by a Klimov M-105P engine as the promised M-106 suffered delays to be delivered and had to receive one 20 mm (0.787 in) ShVAK cannon in the "vee" of the engine block. During the flight test, the I-26 - later receiving the designation Yak-1; presented some issues like oil spilling on the windshield, the landing gear getting stuck or loose and other engineering problems, failing in the Government test, much like its competitors the I-200 (later the Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-3) and the I-301 (future Lavochkin LaGG-3). Improvements were added to the I-26-3, which gave the aircraft mass production in 1940. When the Germans invaded the Soviet Union, 425 Yak-1s had been built although few units managed to reach the frontlines. In comparison to other Soviet planes, the Yak-1 was easy to fly and had a good performance, making it a bit more reliable than the MiG-3 as it suffered from poor performance at low altitude to medium; and the LaGG-3 due to engineering difficulties during its development; but superior to the I-16. However when confronted by the Messerschmitt Bf 109 (especially the F variants), the Yak-1 could rely on maneuverability at low altitude as the German fighter had good armament and was faster. Thanks to its cheap construction, the Yak-1 was the most common among Soviet planes despite the majority of the pilots having little experience in combat. In the autumn of 1942, the Yak-1B appeared, with the bubble type canopy, increased armor, the more powerful M-105P engine and a single 12.7 mm UBS machine gun instead of the two ShKAS machine guns. The Yak-1 was appreciated by Soviet pilots due to its flight characteristics. Some aces included Mikhail Baranov with 24 victories, Katya Budanova with 5 and Lydia Litvyak, between 5 and 12 victories, plus two shared. The French Normandie-Niemen squadron flew the Yak-1M in March 1943. Production ended in 1944 with around 8,700 units built. The Yak-1 was the base for its successors: the Yak-7, the Yak-9 and the Yak-3. Were the Yaks considered as one type, around 37,000 units built would constitute the most produced fighter in history (Yak-1: 8,700 units, Yak-7: 6,399 units,Yak-9: 16,769 units, Yak-3: 4,848 units), surpassing the German Bf 109 with 34,248 units built and the Soviet Ilyushin IL-2 with 36,183.

The model selected is the Yak-1 (year 1941-1942)








As always, I used a pre-made model for aircraft in order to make the other WW2 planes. The fuselage had to be remade to fit with the drawings / blueprints. The wings and the tail had to be adjusted.

The landing gear was appended from the P-47 / Tempest / Ki-61 and the propeller blades from the Lavochkin La-5. Minor components made were the engine exhaustion outlet, the oil radiator located on the Yak-1's belly and the air intake under the plane's nose. The material used to the Yak-1 has been appended from the Tempest.

And now, the next renders of the Yak-1.






The Yak-1 received the original VVS (Soviet Air Force) decals and the canopy hatch from the La-5. I had to adjust the hatch and the forward framing in order to fit them into the drawings, yet the forward reinforced glass and framing requires a rework. So far, it's looking good.

The next components to make are the ailerons, the flaps, the fairings, the armaments, the cockpit internal components, a nice texture and rigging this Soviet air fighter.

Speaking on rigging, for the rudder I may do something similar to what I did for the ailerons and flaps. After the Yak-1, I'll make the Yak-9 from its original model. After all, the Yak-1 was the base for the Yak-7 and Yak-9 as heavily armed air fighters and the Yak-3 as a highly maneuverable aircraft.

Well, that's it for now my friends. I hope you like this Blog. I don't have updates from my original works to share you. In case I have some spare time to enjoy, I'll be working on other things aside from Blender projects and my personal things. Until the time comes, you will be surprised to see them. See you next time.

My DeviantArt:
My second Youtube channel:
My other Blogspot places:
My Facebook page:
My Instagram:
My ArtStation:
My Pixiv:

Note: Don't you dare to download these images and re-share it without my permission. If you do, please, leave the original author name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Back to Work, P-40N, Kübelwagen, Jean and Miria - April 10, 2021

New Updates for: Macchi C.202 and Macchi C.205 (new project) - October 11, 2021

Civil service exam and new updates for: Spitfire, IAR 80, F4U, Yak-1 and new projects - December 7th, 2023